Skip to content Skip to navigation

Trans* @ UC Merced

Trans* Resources at UC Merced

There are a number of resources available for the Transgender community at UC Merced and in the valley. Here is a short list to get your started:

Legal Name Change

Legal Name Change Process for California

Court-Ordered Name Change:

  1. Fill out court forms (Form NC-100, NC-110, NC-120, NC-130, and CM-010).
  2. Make at least two copies of all your forms. 
  3. File your forms with the court clerk.  You will need to pay a filing fee ($395 in LA County, as of April 2012). To find your local courthouse, visit Fee waivers are available:  You will be assigned a court date to appear before a judge.
  4. Publish the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120).  This must be posted in a newspaper for four consecutive weeks before your court date. Ask your court for a list of approved publications. The cost of publication can vary greatly among the various approved newspapers, so be sure to check the prices before submitting Form NC-120 to the courthouse.
  5. Attend your court date.  Bring a copy of Form NC-130 for the judge to sign, as well as proof that your Order to Show Cause was published in the newspaper.
  6. Get your Decree Changing Name from the Court. It is advisable to get at least one or two certified copies.  You can use this to change your name on your birth certificate, Social Security card, and other government-issued identification.

Social Security
California Driver's License
California Birth Certificate After Legal Name Change
California Birth Certificate After Gender Reassignment
United States Passport


Legal Name Change Process for UC Merced

Students may request to change their name on official University records. The form is available at the Students First Center or by downloading here.

Legally recognized proof of the change of name will be required before the form is accepted and processed. Students planning to graduate should file this request along with their Graduation Application.

Preferred Name

Can I use a preferred first name?
Yes. UC Merced students may request that a preferred first name be entered in their student record by contacting the Office of the Registrar. Once the request has been approved by the Registrar's Office (which may take up to 3 business days, or longer during high-volume periods), the preferred name will be viewable across different campus applications once departments determine best practices to adapt their use of it. For more information regarding changing your name please wisit the Office of the Registrar's or contact Erin Webb.

Will my preferred first name appear on all UC Merced records?
Not all. The preferred first name initial phase-in will include class roster, grade roster, campus directory, and unofficial transcript. With a preferred name, a student's legal name will continue to be used for certain university records, documents, and business processes where deemed necessary or required (e.g., CatCard, financial services, official transcript, diploma, and official verifications).

Are there any first name restrictions?
The University reserves the right to remove or deny the preferred first name request if used inappropriately. This includes, but is not limited to, names using foul or inappropriate language or names submitted to avoid a legal obligation or to create misrepresentation.

Does a preferred first name affect my legal name?
No. An approved preferred name does not change a student’s legal name. Students who wish to change their legal name should use the Legal Name Change Form through the Registrar's Office.



A Preferred Name change provides you the ability to reflect an online identify consistent with how you name yourself in the real world. A Preferred Name is not a legal name change and your legal name will remain on university documents that have legal standing. A Preferred Name is associated with your legal names in UC Merced System of Record. For questions about changing your name or photograph on yourCatCard, contact Angi Baxter. You can also access the steps to change your email through the Office of Information Technology here.


Gender Markers & Sexual Identity

At this time, we do not have a way for students to update their gender or sexual identity information online. If you'd like to make changes to the information you submitted on your admissions application (effective fall 2016 admitted students) or provide the information to UC Merced directly (those who began attending prior to fall 2016), you may contact Erin Webb to make the update.